adventures in inner city education

Dedicated and over-educated teacher leaves the pampered comfort of a Stanford PhD program to teach at a small, stereotypically 'inner city' elementary school in Washington, DC. And blogs about it.

Friday, October 07, 2005

From the principal's desk

Dear Ms. Sweetland,

I looked over your receipts totaling $141.54. I wish you had asked me first before making the purchases, especially the more expensive ones. I checked the school funds and we are quite low. After we receive the lunch money from families I will be able to reimburse you for half. I can then give you the other half later on, maybe after next month's lunch count.

Peace and Love,

Mrs. H.
(Principal)

Dear Mrs. H,

Thank you for your note. I am sorry if I caused any problems; that was not my intention. I did ask about the process of getting supplies, several times, before school started. I got only vague answers from both you and the staff (e.g., "Get what you need, but don't go crazy.) I tried to go by that guideline, but apparently my idea of 'reasonable' was different from yours.

Please consider me a resource for getting more funds into the school. I have considerable experience with grantwriting and have been very successful with it in the past. Also, as you know, I hope to be a principal myself in a few years, so I would consider it a valuable learning experience to be involved with the school's budget.

I know how stressful money problems can be and I apologize if I unintentionally caused you any distress.

Yours in service,

Julie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home