adventures in inner city education

Dedicated and over-educated teacher leaves the pampered comfort of a Stanford PhD program to teach at a small, stereotypically 'inner city' elementary school in Washington, DC. And blogs about it.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Introducing Marquette

The most challenging student I have is a funny little kid named Marquette. He's been diagnosed with ADD and takes Concerta each morning to keep him somewhat sedated. He can often be found doing the exact opposite of what he's supposed to be doing. However, unlike most other ADD students I've had, he is quite pleasant and even hilarious--a natural comedian. This is good, because it keeps me from wanting to strangle him on a daily basis.

In days past, Marquette has come up to me to say, apropos of nothing, the following things, all delivered with perfect comic timing:

"Ms. Sweetland, I have something very important to tell you. From here on, I shall no longer answer to the name Marquette. I insist that you refer to me, rather, as Betty." (Exit Marquette, stage left, imaginary boa trailing wildly behind him.)

"Ms. Sweetland, what's that on your desk? Wait, wait. Don't tell me. Is it a box of family recipes handed down from generation to generation?" (Um, no Marquette, that's actually my coffee mug.)

"Ms. Sweetland, Is it true that ants have no knees? Or is that just a rumor?"

Definitely a rumor.

I have such a great job!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home